Effective Date: December 06, 2018
What Is Personal Information
Your personal information includes (but is not limited to): name, email, birth date, location, social media content you allow the Website to access, and any other information we collect directly or indirectly from or about you through this Website or otherwise with your consent (including from public sources with permission or licensed from third party sources).
Collection of Personal Information
We collect information about all users of the Website. This information may include a user’s browser type, type of computer operating system, and the domain name of the website from which the user linked to the Website. We will also collect your name and email address should you submit that information to us on the Website.
We may collect, use or disclose your personal information without consent in special situations where consent may not be appropriate or when we are permitted or required by law to collect, use or disclose the personal information without consent. Also, your email address or your domain name may be automatically recognized when you use the Website. We may also collect information about you when you interact with us electronically elsewhere, such as through our other websites, apps or social media sites, or when you click on our online advertising or a link in an email message from us.
We may use a “cookie” or similar technology to assist us to customize the Website. A “cookie” is a data file that a website sends to a user’s computer while that user is viewing the site. These data files include information that allows a website to remember information that will make that user’s use of the website more efficient and helpful.
Storage of Personal Information
We store your personal information in our offices in Canada, as well as our data centers located in and outside of Canada, including the United States. While your information is in the United States or another jurisdiction, it may be subject to the laws of that jurisdiction, and may be subject to disclosure to the governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies in that jurisdiction in accordance with such jurisdiction’s laws. By providing us with your information and continuing to use this Website, you consent to the transfer and/or storage of your information inside and outside of Canada.
Use of information
We use your information for the following business purposes during and after your use of the Website:
- to respond to inquiries we receive from you or in connection with a transaction or communication you initiate;
- to analyze, manage and improve the Website;
- to improve our marketing and consumer communication through data analysis;
- to develop new apps, programs and products for users like you;
- to help us diagnose problems with our server or other technical issues relating to the performance of the app/website; and/or
- for any other business purpose stated at the time you provide your information or enable a function on the Website which allows us to collect information with notice to you.
It is our policy to require only the personal information necessary to complete the specific transaction that you request. We do not condition your participation in any specific activity on the Website on the disclosure of more personal information than is reasonably necessary to complete that activity.
Disclosure of information
We may disclose the information we collect from and about you:
- when we have reason to believe that such disclosure is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) our rights or property, customers or other users of the Website, or anyone else who could be harmed by such activities, or is necessary to take precautions against liability, investigate and defend against any third-party claims or allegations, and/or protect the security or integrity of the Website;
- to respond to judicial process and provide information to law enforcement agencies as permitted or required by law, or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with provincial/territorial and/or federal laws;
- otherwise with your consent.
YOU EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZE US TO SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH ANY OF KIN COMMUNICATIONS INC. AND OUR AFFILIATED COMPANIES AND/OR THE THIRD PARTIES WE RETAIN TO PERFORM ANY OF THE BUSINESS PURPOSES LISTED ABOVE.
Transfer of Business Disclosure
We or our affiliates may sell or buy other businesses or entities. In such event, we may transfer, assign or sell the information we have collected as part of such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control. In such transactions, your personal information may be included in the transferred business assets. Also, in the unlikely event of our bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, receivership, or assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the application of laws or equitable principles affecting creditors’ rights generally, we may not be able to control how your personal information is treated, transferred, or used and your personal information may be included in the transferred assets.
The Website contains links to other sites. We are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of, or the use, collection or disclosure of personal information by, such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of any other site that collects personally identifiable information.
Unauthorized access to Personal Information
We take commercially reasonable precautions and technical measures to try to protect against the risks of unauthorized access to, erroneous disclosure of, and unlawful interception of personal information under our control. However, your personal information could be unlawfully intercepted or accessed by third parties, for example, if the Website were subject to hostile network attacks, administrative errors, or data breach, theft or loss. We cannot and do not guarantee the security of any information transmitted over the internet. We take steps that we believe are commercially reasonable to limit access to your personal information to only those employees and service providers who need access to it. However, we cannot guarantee that your personal information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed despite our efforts or as a result of events beyond our reasonable control. Accordingly, we cannot and do not guarantee that personal information is completely secure and safe from such risks.
FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBT, WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO ENSURING, GUARANTEEING OR OTHERWISE OFFERING ANY DEFINITIVE PROMISE OF SECURITY IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
Notification of Changes
BY USING THE WEBSITE, YOU AGREE AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IT IS HOSTED IN CANADA.
If you are attempting to access this Website from a physical location within the European Union, Asia, the United States, or any other region with laws or regulations governing personal data collection, use, disclosure and transfer that differ from Canadian laws, by your continued use of the Website you are transferring your personal information to Canada and you consent to:
- such transfer,
- the application (including rules regarding the interpretation and enforcement) of the laws of Canada and/or the Province of British Columbia with respect to the Privacy and/or your use of the Website Policy (including any dispute), other than such rules, regulations, case law, and/or international treaties that would result in the application of the laws of a jurisdiction other than Canada or the Province of British Columbia, and
- the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of British Columbia and/or the Federal Court of Canada sitting in the Province of British Columbia.